Important change in eligibility for spouses under all plans under Group Policy GA-23111
CLEVELAND, March 20 — The Cooperating Railway Labor Organizations (CRLO), Policy Sponsor, has made a decision to include same-sex spouses as Eligible Dependents under all plans under Group Policy GA-23111 (the “Policy”). The Policy provides coverage for certain retired and former railroad employees as well as their dependents and is administered by UnitedHealthcare. The change in eligibility for same-sex spouses is effective retroactive to January 1, 2014.
Same-sex spouse eligibility
Effective January 1, 2014, a same-sex spouse can be enrolled as a dependent under the Policy based on the requirements below:
• You and your same-sex spouse must be legally married regardless of your current state of residence. “Legally married” means a marriage which is performed in a state or foreign country that legally allows same-sex marriage ceremonies and issues a marriage certificate. (Domestic partnerships or civil unions will not be recognized as legal marriages under the Policy.)
• Coverage for children as a result of a same-sex marriage will follow the current Eligible Dependent rules and definitions under the Policy.
Instructions for adding your same-sex spouse
In order to add your same-sex spouse as a dependent under the Policy, you should provide the following documentation to UnitedHealthcare:
• A copy of the marriage certificate from a state or foreign country that legally allows same-sex marriage ceremonies and issues a marriage certificate
• The spouse’s date of birth
• The spouse’s social security number
Instructions for adding a dependent child of your same-sex marriage
In order to add an eligible dependent child as a result of your same-sex marriage, you should provide the following documentation to UnitedHealthcare:
• A copy of the child’s birth certificate
• The child’s social security number
NOTE: The documentation for adding your same-sex spouse and/or any dependent children of your same-sex marriage should be sent to: United Healthcare, PO Box 30791, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0791 or Fax it to 855-779-5892.
Special enrollment period
A special enrollment period is being allowed so that you may retroactively enroll your same-sex spouse as a dependent under the Policy effective January 1, 2014.The special enrollment period begins now and ends on April 30, 2014. After April 30, 2014, the next opportunity to enroll would be November and December 2014. Anyone enrolling during this special enrollment period must choose coverage beginning on January 1, 2014 and make retroactive payments for the missed months beginning with January 1, 2014 (unless you married your same-sex spouse after January 1, 2014).
NOTE: The addition of your same-sex spouse and/or any dependent children as a result of your same-sex marriage will, in most cases, result in an increase in your total monthly premium.
If you have a same-sex spouse affected by this change in dependent eligibility and have any questions, please contact UnitedHealthcare at 1-800-842-5252.